As Alpha Phi continues to grow, so does the need for talented and involved individuals to provide support at the local level. The Chapter Advisor (CA) enters into a collaborative relationship with many constituencies to provide direction and consistency to collegiate chapters. The Chapter Advisor is the key volunteer responsible for providing leadership, guidance and support to the local collegiate chapter, ensuring the chapter's strong health and continued growth. The Chapter Advisor can expect to spend 5-7 hours per week assisting the chapter via telephone, email, or in-person.
The Chapter Advisor shall be appointed/re-appointed annually by Collegiate Chapter Administrator/Extension Team Lead/International Governor. Position is a one year term.
- Work in conjunction with the Collegiate Chapter Administrator/Extension Team Lead/International Governor and Program Manager for Volunteer Development to ensure that all position vacancies on the Advisory Board are filled.
- Chair and plan meetings with the Advisory Board and see that it functions effectively as a team and provides effective guidance to the collegiate chapter.
- Ensure appropriate Advisory Board representation at chapter events: collegiate chapter meetings, Executive Council meetings, chapter elections, officer transition, recruitment activities, J-Board hearings, initiation, Fraternity/Sorority Advisor meetings and HCB/CPC meetings. Whenever possible ensure appropriate Advisory Board representation at local Alumnae Chapter meetings, Local and Alumnae Panhellenic meetings.
- Collaborate with the Collegiate Chapter Administrator/Extension Team Lead/International Governor and Recruitment Advisor to analyze the chapter's incidence of regrets and recruiting strength, and support the prescription for chapter improvement if one is provided.
- Collaborate with the Chapter Operations Advisor to ensure that the chapter has knowledge of, can interpret, and abides by the Fraternal documents: Constitution & Bylaws, Policies & Procedures, Collegiate Chapter Operations Manual, and Chapter documents: Chapter Bylaws, House Rules and Housing Contracts.
- Serve as point person to the Executive Office Staff during any local Alpha Phi crisis situation, keeping them updated regarding risk management issues as necessary.
- Develop a positive working relationship with the Campus Administration, Fraternity/Sorority Advisor, community leaders and local Panhellenic.
Education & Mentorship
- Maintain weekly contact with the Chapter President to provide counsel on her leadership skills.
- Collaborate with chapter leadership to ensure a proper officer transition or retreat occurs.
- Ensure collegiate chapter officer attendance at Leadership Conference to optimize skills, knowledge, and capacity to perform in their roles to the best of their abilities.
- Attend Convention and other training opportunities, such as Advisor Academy and Leadership Conference.
- Serves as a Chapter Advisory Board liaison to the House Corporation Board.
Positional Knowledge and Needs
The Chapter Advisor should be familiar with Alpha Phi Policies and Procedures and resources. The CA isn't expected to know all of the answers, but she should know where to find them. She must possess leadership skills, the ability to manage her time well, patience in conflict resolution, and critical thinking skills to help the chapter solve problems. The CA isn't expected to do the work of the chapter. Rather she guides chapter leadership in making appropriate decisions. The CA is the strategic thinker for the chapter, moving them in a positive direction and always seeking to improve their practices. She is a role model and therefore should be in good standing with the Fraternity and supportive of the Alpha Phi Foundation.
In exchange for her service, the CA will continue to develop leadership skills through her role, become skilled in crisis management, learn to facilitate, and fine tune her critical thinking skills. The CA is valued as Alpha Phi's key volunteer and will be treated with respect and recognized for her contributions. Limited travel is available.
Chapter Advisor Openings
Consider volunteering as a Chapter Advisor for a chapter near you!
You may view open positions by clicking here.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or for more information.