The Finance Advisor's duties are to support the VP of Chapter Operations and/or the Director of Finance, review general financial matters, and ensure efficient financial operations of the chapter. The Finance Advisor helps provide financial stability to the chapter through her diligence and attention to their spending and collecting of membership dues.
The Finance Advisor shall be appointed/reappointed on an annual basis by the Chapter Advisor and Collegiate Chapter Administrator. Position is a one year term.
- Become trained in the Billhighway online financial platform including how to input member fees, interpret financial reports, and input chapter budgets.
- Communicate weekly with VP Chapter Operations and/or Director of Finance, either in person, via Skype, or conference call to discuss chapter financial matters.
- Review Billhighway Member Aging Report on a weekly basis and help chapter officer(s) to enforce the International 15/30/45 Delinquency Policy.
- Review the Billhighway Budget Variance Report once a month at minimum to determine overages and re-allocate funds.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual chapter budget (working with the House Corporation Board if applicable), and explain and help the Director of Finance present the budget to the chapter.
- Remind chapters to pay Alpha Phi International fees on time and in full.
- Remind chapter to pay the House Corporation Board (if applicable) in full and on time per the contract with the HCB.
- Review financial letter and contract sent to members and parents (if applicable) for accuracy of content.
- Ensure that all members and their parent/guardian have signed financial contracts on file.
- Ensure un-housed chapters move their chapter bond monies to the "chapter bond" savings account in Billhighway at the end of the fiscal year.
- Ensure chapter moves the amount of money earmarked for "savings" to their Billhighway "savings" account at the end of the fiscal year.
- Help chapter determine what percentage of their end of the year excess funds should be transferred to their House Corporation Board (if housed), once the chapter has met their savings goal.
- Ensure chapter submits all of their philanthropy proceeds to the Alpha Phi Foundation within 90 days of their philanthropic event.
- Review other Sorority fees on campus once each year to ensure that Alpha Phi is comparable with our top competitors on campus.
- Attend Advisory Board meetings when held, either in person, via Skype, or conference call. Provide a financial report so that all advisors have an understanding of the overall financial situation of the chapter.
Positional Knowledge and Needs
A volunteer with previous advising, treasurer, or professional experience in finance and accounting would be a good fit for this role. The FA must have knowledge of Alpha Phi Policies and Procedures, including the resignation and termination process. It is also expected that she know our financial reporting requirements, where to find answers, and how to appropriately budget and forecast finances. The Finance Advisor is a role model and therefore must be a member in good standing with the Fraternity and supportive of the Alpha Phi Foundation.
In exchange for her service, the FA will continue to develop leadership skills through her role, become an integral part of the chapter's leadership team, and be a valuable member of Alpha Phi's volunteer corps. Limited travel is available.
Consider volunteering as a Finance Advisor for a chapter near you!
You may view open positions by clicking here.
Contact email@example.com to volunteer or for more information.
This volunteer position can be done remotely.