Job Title: EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, QUARTERLY MAGAZINE
Reports to: Director, Member Engagement and Marketing
Status: Exempt - Full Time
Location: Evanston, IL (remote candidates will not be considered)
The position is full-time and offers a competitive benefits package. For consideration, submit a cover letter and resume to: Human Resources, Alpha Phi International Fraternity, via email to: email@example.com.
Serve as the sole editorial staff person for Alpha Phi's Quarterly print publication; including overall direction of the magazine, content, budget, design, production, distribution, photography and archiving. Work with third-party designer and printer to ensure on-time delivery of publication four times a year. Serve as point person for the Editorial Advisory Board (EAB).
Work with professional third-party photographer to oversee official stock photography shoots and serve as main contact for Convention and Leadership Conference event photography. Organize and manage photography in digital library.
Provide editorial support to members of the marketing and member engagement team across all marketing collateral, both print and electronic communications.
Key Job Elements:
- Oversee strategic direction of 40-48-page quarterly publication.
- Outline production schedule and content for four issues per year.
- Work with multiple departments to solicit ideas and pieces for pertinent sections.
- Write, copyedit and fact check content for all sections of the magazine, including feature articles.
- Conduct in-person and electronic interviews with featured members.
- Solicit advertising; ensuring ads meet Quarterly content policy and spec requirements, payment and additional follow-up.
- Ensure on-time delivery of publication by working closely with third-party designer and printer.
- Communicate with collegiate/alumnae chapters and members to solicit news for inclusion in publication.
- Market to potential advertisers looking to secure ad space in upcoming issues.
- Oversee design direction with third-party designer.
- Host quarterly calls with 10-member Editorial Advisory Board.
- Coordinate magazine-specific photo shoots.
- Work with outside organizations to acquire photography and licensing rights.
- Upload supplementary content to website and online publishing platform.
- Represent Alpha Phi as a member of the Fraternity Communications Association and National Panhellenic Editors Conference.
- Work with professional third-party photographer to oversee official stock photography shoots.
- Serve as point person for Convention and Leadership Conference event photography.
- Develop shot lists, manage pre-event communications with photographers and handle on-site photography logistics.
- Manage digital photo library as a resource for all Executive Office staff members.
- Serve as an integral member of member engagement and marketing team.
- Assist with proofing of alumnae dues campaigns, e-newsletter communications and miscellaneous marketing collateral.
- Attend weekly team meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree in Writing, English, Journalism or Communications.
- 3-5 years professional experience in an editorial environment, preferably print.
- Experience working with designers/printers.
- Experience in a non-profit or service environment preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Experience in supervising interns preferred.
- Expertise in Associated Press (AP) Style.
- Superior artistic eye with a passion for photography and design.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite highly preferred but not required.
- Expertise in long- and short-form storytelling.
- Experience working with remote and/or freelance employees.
- Experience conducting interviews.
- Familiarity with managing a budget.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office for Windows (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required).
- Familiarity working on a network and database.
- Basic HTML experience preferred.
- Member of a Greek organization is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofing skills.
- Creative and innovative with a passion for storytelling.
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with strong project management skills.
- Able to manage multiple priorities under deadline.
- Works well independently and collaboratively.
- Well-organized with strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Functions well in a fast-paced, cooperative, team-oriented, open environment.