Recommending a Legacy or Potential New Member
Any alumnae of Alpha Phi may recommend a potential new member for an Alpha Phi chapter. Our Recommendation Form introduces the potential new member to the chapter and provides the chapter with helpful information about the potential new member during the recruitment process. There are two ways to submit a recommendation form on behalf of a potential new member:
- Download and print the recommendation form
To Fill Out the Recommendation Form Electronically
- Visit the online recommendation form by clicking here
- Fill out your information and be sure to include a valid email address
- Fill out the information on the potential new member to the best of your ability; please include the potential new member's e-mail address
- After you submit the form, the following will happen:
- You will receive a confirmation email
- The chapter will receive an email notification with your recommendation attached
If you have questions about the recommendation process or this form, please email email@example.com
To Download and Print the Recommendation Form
- Download and print the Recommendation Form.
- Fill out the form to the best of your ability and knowledge of the potential new member. You may send additional information such as a resume, photo, etc; however, these are not required.
- Mail the Recommendation Form directly to the collegiate chapter. You may find the chapter addresses by visiting our Chapter Listing page. All of our chapter addresses and recruitment dates are also listed in the Summer Quarterly.
Thank you for taking the time to recommend a potential new member!! Alpha Phi continues to respect the tradition of membership. While we do not guarantee membership to any legacy, we are diligent in ensuring that legacies and references are given extra consideration during the recruitment process.
A legacy is any granddaughter, great-granddaughter, daughter, stepdaughter, sister or stepsister of an initiated Alpha Phi member.
All legacies will receive an invitation to the first invitational round of recruitment on campuses with more than one invitational event.
Any Alpha Phi legacy that accepts Alpha Phi's invitation to a preference party must be placed on the chapter's first bid list.
D. Releasing a Legacy
A chapter must have the approval of the Chapter Advisor or her designee to release a legacy.
Chapter and Alumnae Responsibilities
- Alumnae recommending Legacies or potential new members have the following responsibilities:
- Fill out the Recommendation Form to the best of her ability providing as much information as possible for the potential new member that is requested on the form
- Send the chapter the Recommendation Form well in advance of the chapter's recruitment (dates are listed in the Summer Quarterly edition which can be found in the Members Only section)
- Support the potential new member throughout the recruitment process
While some potential new members may report their Legacy status to the Panhellenic council, it is ultimately up to the alumna member to notify the chapter of a Legacy - not the potential new member or the Panhellenic council.
Chapters receiving Recommendation Forms have the primary responsibility to follow the Legacy Policy as stated above. All chapters are continuously educated on Alpha Phi's Legacy Policy and the value of Legacies.
We encourage all chapters to notify alumnae when they receive recommendation forms. However, when forms arrive at the chapter right before or during recruitment, the chapter may not have enough time to notify alumnae.
Alumnae will not receive any information about the status of any potential new member or information on the membership selection process. All membership selection decisions are strictly confidential at the chapter level and will not be shared with alumnae.